Attitudes Towards Women’s Economic Participation
English: % of target [choose: men / women] with supportive attitudes towards women’s economic participation
French: % de [choisir: hommes / femmes] manifestant du soutien envers la participation des femmes à la vie économique
Portuguese: % de [escolha: homens / mulheres]-alvo com atitudes de apoio em relação à participação económica das mulheres
Czech: % cílových [určete: mužů / žen] s pozitivním postojem k ekonomické participaci žen
What is its purpose?
The indicator shows the extent to which your target group members are supportive of women’s active economic participation.
How to Collect and Analyse the Required Data
Collect the following data by conducting individual interviews with a representative sample of your target group members:
RECOMMENDED SURVEY QUESTIONS (Q) AND POSSIBLE ANSWERS (A)
Introduction: Now I am going to read a series of statements which come in pairs. Please tell me which of these two statements you agree with more.
Q1.1: Girls should study, so that they can earn money and support their families later.
Q1.2: Girls do not need to study too much, because they will marry and the husband will take care of them.
1) agrees more with the first statement (girls should study to earn money later)
2) agrees more with the second statement (girls do not need to study too much)
Q2.1: It is acceptable if a woman works outside the home to support her family economically.
Q2.2: Women should be working at home and let their husbands earn money for the family.
1) agrees more with the first statement (women can work outside the home)
2) agrees more with the second statement (women should work at home)
Q3.1: If a woman gets the right opportunities, she can be as good a business person as a man.
Q3.2: A woman cannot be as good a business person as a man, even if she gets the right opportunities.
1) agrees more with the first statement (woman can be a good business person)
2) agrees more with the second statement (women cannot be as good as men)
Q4.1: Women should be able to get a loan for establishing or expanding their own business.
Q4.2: Women should not receive loans for establishing or expanding their own business.
1) agrees more with the first statement (women should receive loans)
2) agrees more with the second statement (women should NOT receive loans)
Calculate the indicator’s value in the following way:
1) Provide one point for each supportive response (i.e. Q1.1, 2.1 and 3.1).
2) Sum up the total number of points (positive responses).
3) Count the number of respondents who gained at least three points.
4) Divide the number of respondents who gained at least three points by the total number of respondents and multiply the result by 100.
Disaggregate the data by age group, ethnicity, education level, wealth, and other factors depending on the local context.
1) Always consider whether the questions are appropriate to the context you operate in. For example, if it is very common for women to work outside the home, you might need to revise one or more of the survey questions.