Minimum Dietary Diversity - Children (MDD-C)
English: % of children 6-23 months of age who received foods from ≥ 4 food groups the previous day or night
French: % d'enfants âgés de 6 à 23 mois ayant consommé des aliments appartenant à au moins 4 groupes d’aliments distincts le jour ou la nuit précédents
Portuguese: % de crianças entre 6 - 23 meses de idade que receberam alimentos de ≥ 4 grupos alimentares no dia ou noite anteriores
Czech: % dětí ve věku 6-23 měsíců, které v uplynulém dni a noci konzumovaly jídlo z alespoň 4 potravinových skupin
What is its purpose?
MDD-C assesses the proportion of children 6-23 months of age who have consumed at least four out of seven pre-defined food groups the previous day or night. It is an indicator of a diet's micronutrient adequacy, an important dimension of its quality.
How to Collect and Analyse the Required Data
The indicator uses Individual Dietary Diversity Score (IDDS) data - see guidance in the relevant indicator. A child's diet meets "minimum diversity" when the IDD score reaches at least 4 points (i.e. foods from at least 4 groups were eaten).
Calculate the indicator's value by dividing the number of children aged 6-23.99 months who received foods from ≥ 4 food groups the previous day or night by the total number of surveyed children aged 6-23.99 months (exclude those where "does not know" answer was provided) and multiplying the result by 100.
Disaggregate the data by gender, wealth and age group.
1) Please read important comments included in the IDDS indicator page.
Access Additional Guidance
- FAO (2010) Guidelines for Measuring Household and Individual Dietary Diversity (.pdf)
- WHO (2008) Indicators for Assessing IYCF Practices Part 1: Definitions (English version) (.pdf)
- WHO (2008) Indicators for Assessing IYCF Practices Part 1: Definitions (French version) (.pdf)
- PIN (2015) Practical Checklist for Conducting Nutrition Surveys (.pdf)
- WHO (2010) Indicators for Assessing IYCF Practices Part 2: Measurement (French version) (.pdf)
- WHO (2010) Indicators for Assessing IYCF Practices Part 2: Measurement (English version) (.pdf)