Awareness of the Causes and Prevention of Diarrhoea
English: % of respondents who know at least three of the main causes of diarrhoea and three ways to prevent diarrhoea
French: % de répondants capables d'indiquer trois des causes principales de la diarrhée et trois manières d’éviter la diarrhée
Portuguese: % de inquiridos que sabem pelo menos três das principais causas da diarreia e três formas para a prevenção da diarreia
Czech: % respondentů se znalostí alespoň třech hlavních příčin průjmových onemocnění a třech způsobů jejich prevence
What is its purpose?
The indicator assesses the extent to which the target population is aware of at least three causes of diarrhoea and three ways to prevent diarrhoea. It is commonly used for measuring the immediate results of hygiene promotion activities.
How to Collect and Analyse the Required Data
Collect the following data by conducting individual interviews with a representative sample of your target group members:
RECOMMENDED SURVEY QUESTION (Q) AND POSSIBLE ANSWERS (A)
Q1: Can you please tell me how a person can get diarrhoea?
1) drinking poor quality water
2) eating spoilt food
3) having dirty hands
4) from flies sitting on the eaten food
5) from poor personal hygiene
6) does not know
7) other - specify: ............................
Q2: Can you please tell me how a person can prevent getting diarrhoea?
1) washing hands with soap at critical moments
2) drinking only safe / treated water
3) reheating older food before eating it
4) preventing flies from sitting on food
5) washing fruits and veggies before eaiting / cooking it
6) defecate in an improved latrine
7) does not know
8) other - specify: ............................
NOTE: Ensure that the data collectors do not read the pre-defined answers.
Calculate the indicator's value by dividing the number of respondents who knew at least three causes of diarrhoea and three ways to prevent diarrhoea by the total number of respondents and multiplying the result by 100.
Disaggregate the data by gender and age groups.