Access to Excreta Disposal Facilities
English: number or % of people with access to dignified, safe, clean and functional excreta disposal facilities
French: nombre ou % de personnes ayant accès à des installations de gestion des excréments dignes, sûres, propres et fonctionnelles
Portuguese: número ou % de pessoas com acesso a instalações de depósito de excrementos dignas, limpas e funcionais
Czech: počet nebo % lidí s přístupem k adekvátním, bezpečným, čistým a funkčním sanitárním zařízením
What is its purpose?
The composite indicator measures the affected population's access to a sufficient number of safely located latrines with functioning hand washing facilities - a crucial precondition for ensuring a sanitary environment and preventing diseases.
How to Collect and Analyse the Required Data
Use observations, key informant interviews and review of relevant documents to assess the following sub-indicators:
1) Can the toilets be considered as "improved sanitation facilities"? This means either being pit latrines with slab; or ventilated improved pit latrines; or flush or pour toilets (connected to a sewer system or a septic tank); or composting toilets?
2) Is the average number of toilet users lower than 20 people per one gender-specific toilet? (disaggregate the data by gender)
3) Are the toilets located less than 50 meters from dwellings (or as locally agreed)?
4) Are the toilets regularly cleaned and maintained? (assess based on interviews with randomly selected users + observations)
5) Do the toilets have hand washing facilities (with accessible water and soap) and anal cleansing material?
6) Do the toilets respect cultural preferences and are they segregated by sex?
7) Are the toilets constructed in a way that does not pose any risk to their users (e.g. risks of collapse; or poor vector control due to missing drophole cover)?
8) Are the toilets located in a way that minimizes women and girls' exposure to assaults, especially at night?
Calculate the number and percentage of people having access to toilets which meet these standards. The toilets only meet the standards if the answers to all questions are YES.
NOTE: This is ECHO's Key Result Indicator (KRI) prepared based on ECHO (2016) List of Key Results Indicators. In addition to the ECHO's requirements listed above, it is recommended that you assess also:
> Are the toilets lockable from inside?
> Is the toilets' ground smooth and easy to clean?
> Do the toilets' handwashing facilities have soap or ash?
1) According to the Sphere Standards:
> the ration of women to men's toilets should be 3:1
> where there are no existing toilets, it is possible to start with one for 50 people, increasing toilets and lowering the number of users per toilet to 20 as soon as possible.
Access Additional Guidance
- ECHO (2016) List of Key Results Indicators (KRI) (.pdf)
- ECHO (2016) List of Key Results Indicators (KRI) - French version (.pdf)
- Sphere Excreta Disposal Standard 2
- Global WASH Cluster