WASH Services in Facilities
English: % of users considering basic WASH services to be functional in the target facilities
French: % d'utilisateurs considérant que les services EHA de base sont fonctionnels dans les installations ciblées
Portuguese: % de utilizadores tendo em consideração os serviços de água higiene e saneamento (WASH) básicos funcionais nas infraestruturas-alvo
Czech: % uživatelů uvádějících, že základní WASH zařízení v cílových zařízeních jsou funkční
What is its purpose?
This indicator measures the proportion of the target facilities’ users (such as health centres’ patients or schools’ students) that consider the facilities’ basic WASH services to be functional (in terms of its quality, quantity and access).
How to Collect and Analyse the Required Data
Collect the following data by conducting individual interviews with a representative sample of the target facilities’ users which are at the time of the survey present in the facilities:
Q1: In your experience, does [specify the facility’s name] have sufficient access to water for drinking and ensuring basic hygiene?
A1: yes / no / does not know
Q2: In your experience, does [specify the facility’s name] have a sufficient number of clean and safe toilets, for both women and men?
A2: yes / no / does not know
Q3: In your experience, does [specify the facility’s name] have sufficient facilities for ensuring basic hygiene, such as hand washing?
A3: yes / no / does not know
Calculate the indicator’s value by dividing the number of respondents who replied “yes” to all three questions by the total number of respondents (exclude those whose answer was “does not know”) and multiplying the result by 100.
1) Users are the direct beneficiaries of the facilities’ services (such as patients or students), not the facilities’ staff who bear most of the responsibilities for maintaining WASH services.
2) Always adjust the questions to the context you operate in and the type of facilities you target.
3) The indicator is one of ECHO's Key Outcome Indicators (KOI) and follows the methodology proposed by ECHO (see attached below). If you do not use this indicator for an ECHO-funded project and do not have the resources to conduct a representative survey, you might 1) change this indicator to "% of target facilities with functional WASH services"; 2) make a list of what exactly is meant by "functional WASH services"; and 3) assess it based on observations, key informant interviews and focus group discussions with users (i.e. not by using a relatively time-consuming interviews with a representative sample of users).
Access Additional Guidance
- ECHO (2016) List of Key Outcome Indicators (KOI) (.pdf)
- ECHO (2016) List of Key Outcome Indicators (KOI) - French version (.pdf)