Participatory Monitoring & Evaluation System
English: % of targeted communities with a functioning participatory monitoring and evaluation system
French: % des communautés ciblées disposant d'un système de suivi et d'évaluation participatif opérationnel
Portuguese: % de comunidades-alvo com um sistema participativo de monitorização e avaliação funcional
Czech: % cílových komunit s fungujícím participativním systémem monitorování a evaluace
What is its purpose?
The indicator measures the extent to which an organization engages the members of the targeted communities in monitoring and evaluating the project activities. Participatory, community-based monitoring and evaluation provides the project managers with useful insights and increases the community members' ability to influence project activities' implementation.
How to Collect and Analyse the Required Data
Determine the indicator's value by using the following methodology:
1) Define what can be considered a ‘community’. In rural settings, this is likely to be a village. In the urban context, you might need to use smaller units, such as districts.
2) Define the criteria based on which it is possible to say that there is a functioning participatory monitoring and evaluation system in a given community. The criteria should be primarily informed by an organization’s system for operating community-based, participatory monitoring and evaluation (if this is not available, engage relevant expert(s) in developing such a system). The criteria should include, among others:
- the presence of community members who are continuously monitoring and evaluating the project activities based on criteria that the community members defined as important
- the community members are representative of the people who are supposed to benefit from the project
- the information provided through the community-based monitoring and evaluation system is actively used to influence the design / implementation of project activities
3) Use available data and interviews with relevant staff and community members to determine the number of communities where a participatory monitoring and evaluation system operates in line with the criteria defined in point 1. To calculate the indicator’s value, divide this number by the total number of communities targeted by the project. Multiply the result by 100 to convert it to a percentage.