Access to Markets
English: % of the target population who reported that accessing vendors to use the provided [specify: vouchers / bankcards / cash] was easy
French: % de la population cible déclarant que l’accès aux commerçants permettant d’utiliser les [spécifiez : bons/ cartes bancaires/ espèces] fournis était facile
Portuguese: % da população-alvo que declarou que o acesso aos vendedores para usar os [especificar: vouchers / cartões bancários / dinheiro] providenciado(s) foi fácil
Czech: % příjemců pomoci, podle kterých bylo snadné se dostat k obchodníkům, u kterých mohli využít [určete: poukázky / bankovní karty / hotovost]
What is its purpose?
The indicator measures the proportion of people who received cash-based assistance (CBA) who did not experience any significant difficulties related to the physical, social, and security-related aspects of travelling from their (temporary) homes to the sellers to use the provided vouchers / cash / other modality.
How to Collect and Analyse the Required Data
Collect the following data by conducting individual interviews with a representative sample of the CBA recipients:
RECOMMENDED SURVEY QUESTIONS (Q) AND POSSIBLE ANSWERS (A)
Q1: How easy or difficult was it for you to travel to the sellers where you could use [specify the modality] to buy whatever you needed? Would you say that it was very easy, somewhat easy, rather difficult or impossible?
1) it was very easy
2) it was somewhat easy
3) it was rather difficult
4) it was impossible
5) the respondent did not try to use the modality
(ask the following question only if the previous answer is rather difficult or impossible)
Q2: Can you please explain to me why it was difficult?
A2: (adjust the answers depending on the local context; multiple answers possible)
1) due to poor security / fear of travel
2) due to roadblocks / checkpoints
3) due to no / poor means of transport (bus, car, motorbike, etc.)
4) due to large distance
5) due to no money for transport
6) due to poor health
7) due to physical disability
8) due to lack of time
9) due to lost identification card (ID, passport)
10) due to not knowing where the sellers are
11) family did not allow her/him to travel
12) other – specify: ……………………….
To calculate the indicator’s value, divide the number of respondents who said that accessing the sellers was very easy or quite easy by the total number of respondents. Multiply the result by 100.
Disaggregate the data by age group, location, gender, and other vulnerability criteria.
1) If you conduct cash transfers / voucher distributions in several phases (or in several locations), do not wait to conduct the PDM until all distributions are over. Starting with the PDM immediately after the first phase / location will help you identify potential weaknesses and address them in the remaining distributions.
Access Additional Guidance
- CaLP (2017) Monitoring Guidance for CTP in Emergencies (.pdf)
- CaLP (2015) Operational Guidance and Toolkit for Multipurpose Cash Grants (.pdf)